St. Nicholas, Rodmersham has a ring of six bells and a local band to ring them. The oldest bell dates from the late 14th Century, with the other bells having been cast in the 17th and 19th Centuries.
By 1657, there were four bells at Rodmersham. At this time it was decided to scrap the tenor bell and cast three smaller bells to from a ring of six. In 1930 the bells were re-hung by Alfred Bowell, who recorded the following – “1930 15th December. To overhauling & rehanging the six bells £65. Paid cq on a/c 29 Dec 1930. Cq £10 3 Sep 1931.”
In 1961 the bells were again re-hung, but keeping the old frame, by Mears & Stainbank. There was a break in ringing from 1988 to 1992 while work was carried out on the stonework of the tower. Happily, the bells now ring out again!
Details of the bells and their inscriptions are as follows:-
Treble 5cwt 1qtr 6lbs. Cast in 1893 by Mears & Stainbank.
2 5cwt 3qtr 17lbs. Cast in 1893 by Mears & Stainbank.
3 6cwt 1qtr 12lbs. Cast in 1893 by Mears & Stainbank.
4 Approx. 6 1/2 cwt. Cast sometime between 1371 & 1392 by William Burford.
5 Approx. 8 3/4 cwt. Cast in 1633 by John Wilnar.
Tenor Approx. 9 1/2 cwt. Cast in 1657 by John Darbie.